Monday, January 10, 2011

SeaHorses!

My father, LM, is a woodworker.  Last year, I asked him for a desk-- I got two sawhorses ( which I called seahorses when I was little)  from the spray booth at his shop and a plank of wood. "Livvy-- just throw that plank on top and you should be fine..." To provide some context here, I am the 4th daughter, therefore I am at the very back of line in terms of getting things made-- more often than not I hear-- I would love to Livvy but LM still has a hole in her wall where I cut in, but have yet to install the much awaited medicine cabinet... It turns out, in the case of the two-sawhorses-and-a-plank-of-wood-desk, being last in line was a blessing. Aside from the fact that the sawhorses shed paint at a rapid rate--each time you brushed by them a small pile of "snow" appeared on the floor below--I actually LOVED the shabby chic sawhorses coupled with the finished wood plank on top. I loved the combo so much that I requested the same desk for this year, but luckily was up for a sawhorse upgrade...

My father, LM (sorry if this is confusing that ALL my family has combos of the same initials...) has begun producing and selling sawhorses. They are so great because they can be used to create a desk or workspace of any size-- depending on how far apart you space them and the size of the plank you place on top-- and it can be disassembled and stored up against a wall or in a closet, taking up almost no space. I use my current incarnation as a great combo of desk and DIY workspace-- room for a computer, a thousand framed photos, a sewing machine, laying out a pattern and computer speakers all at the same time. Last year, I had a big dinner party and I hauled the whole thing into the living room to set up a long banquet table.

I googled "sawhorse tables" and apparently I am not the only one who is enamored with them-- they are the toast of the design blogs! Here are some examples below of different takes on this table-- they illustrate perfectly the effortless chic feeling that I love about it!

http://doseofdesign.blogspot.com


http://milkandhoneyhome.blogspot.com/

If you are feeling inspired, contact me-- Breakfast Woodworks is selling their version (pictured below) for $66 each.  Let your mind run wild in terms of alterations-- you can paint, sand and "destruct" them to your liking, then add a top that accents your theme- glass, metal, wood etc...
Details:
3/4" Baltic birch plywood

29" high
Holds 200 lbs. 
Easy to assemble. 




1 comment:

  1. thanks for letting me know! That table is actually from Dennis Miller's Home (his wife is a designer) Best, Julie

    ReplyDelete