Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Obsession/Love Affair/Friendship

I do not know whether my obsession/love affair/friendship with Central Park is emblematic of my status as a New Yorker or as a Country Folk-- but really, this is immaterial, the obsession/love affair/friendship stands. Today it snowed and I had a rare moment to sneak into the park and feed my infatuation. 

I have spent an inordinate amount of time in the Park-- mostly running, but some walking as well. I have been known to drag SG uptown just to walk around, and still have my eye on one of those boats rides around the lake...Hasn't Happened yet, but I will report in if it ever does! Despite knowing the park well, I find I discover something new each time I visit. I love the stone slab stairways, the eclectic iron and wooden bridges, the ponds, the paths, the gazebos, benches and little hide-aways.  Walking around, I feel as if I have been taken back in time, and really, one has, being as the park was completed in 1873. I love thinking about all the new yorkers and world travelers throughout history who have walked amongst its paths. 


New Yorkers all over the city sent in Haikus to the Times, about the snow-- I liked this one. 

Mister and misses
cardinal sit lightly but
still the pines drop snow
— James Moening

Wandered into the park. Snow falling.

 Don't know how this came out this way, since it was not dark outside, but I must say I love it!

These babies jumped the gun...It's gonna be a rough week for them!
I LOVE this bridge! 


Give me a camera and suddenly I think I am Man Ray! hehe...
 









LOVE this Stone archway. 






Someone loves the park like I do!



AND just when I have forgotten that I am in NYC and am completely transfixed by the beauty that is Central Park-- here is a reminder, right there on my favorite bridge- of the world that lies waiting for me outside park walls. 
 

1 comment: