Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Arcadiana, Op. 12 - VI. O Albion," by Thomas Adès

Heard Thomas Ades' quartet, Arcadiana, listen 'here', on NPR this morning and I was intrigued by it. Generally, I am not a huge fan of modern music, but the beginning of this quartet pulled me in, so I looked it up. Turns out --

"Because the movements are keyed to familiar classical tunes by Mozart, Elgar, Schubert, and Wagner, audiences go into the concert hall with more confidence than usual when faced with 22 minutes of modern music they’ve never heard before" (All Things Strings: Thomas Ades’ ‘Arcadiana’ Is a Modern Masterpiece)

Thomas Adès (born 1 March 1971) is a British composer, pianist and conductor.

Give it a listen-- its only a 3 minutes clip and though overall I am not sure if I am a fan, there are some beautiful moments. 

The Calder Quartet will be playing the entire seven movements this evening at Le Poisson Rouge


No comments:

Post a Comment