Friday, January 21, 2011

Hot Yoga is a Bad. Bitch.

Ugh. The first time I did hot yoga I literally almost passed out. I have this strange belief that if working out is not miserable, then you are wasting your time, so this feeling of complete awfulness, nausea and possible loss of consciousness pulled me right in. It is not that I wanted to go back, or looked forward to returning, it was that I felt compelled to conquer  (all cards on the table here, I had bought a 5 class certificate on Gilt City). Class two wasn't as bad as class one, and by the time I hit class three the feelings of extreme discomfort had completely dissipated. I was actually shocked at how quickly it got easier-- and how much I improved from class to class, despite only going once a week. I love the sweat that absolutely pours out of you and I can tell that my body is releasing all its toxins in that hour and a half-- or at least I tell myself that I can tell. I walk out feeling fatigued, and completely soaked in my own sweat, which is gross, I will admit, but something happens over the next couple hours. After a shower and hearty meal-- it makes you want to eat like a freaking beast-- I begin to feel so energized, its amazing! I am totally hooked-- on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, a low point for me in terms of energy, I take a class and feel completely renewed, as if I have just had the best sleep on my life.

Now-- obviously I am singing the praises here, but believe me, I am the last person one would think would enjoy this. First of all, I am totally inflexible; I have not been able to touch my toes since I broke 5 feet--and second of all I have always hated yoga. I just cannot get down with the crunchy, get-in-touch-with-yourself- strange guru white people who always seem to be the instructors, and the tone in which they tell me to stretch in ways that I know are not physically possible. Despite these hurtles, I have managed to forge a love for the Hotness, it just feels soo good. ha. And its pretty comical being packed into a room full of basically naked people, covered in their own sweat, bending and stretching in strange directions.

Long story short, you have to make the commitment to go a few times, until you are not longer miserable and can make an informed decision about it effects.  I am sure it is not for everyone, but use me as an example, I was positive it was not for me and I was wrong!

I practice at Bikram Yoga Manhattan ('here')-- they have two locations, one right by my apt in Soho and another by Penn Station. At the Penn Station location Sat/Sun 3 and 5 PM classes are "pay what you can" so you can give it a try without making an investment. They strongly encourage daily practice. ha.

Also-- as per my post about running outside, 'here',-- you can always give yourself a little extra motivation by getting a cute outfit involved, I know, its shallow, but hey, whatever it takes baby. I am currently lusting after this gem... found 'here'.


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I just went back this week for the first time in a long time. I made myself buy a 10 class card so I have to return.

    ReplyDelete