Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tequila! and cookies shaped like birds...

Not sure what came over me, but I have decided to start a blog. Surely, you will not find every post to be pertinent, but please!, check back, because, at the very least, I can promise variety. Topics to include, but will not be limited to, tidbits from the New York Times,  DIY projects that will almost certainly not turn out as intended, but hopefully be fabulous anyway, knitting and sewing, restaurant reviews, funny things spotted on the subway (get excited for the debut of my photo series: Rat on Tracks with Fruit) and updates on the interesting/important/silly/disastrous things that friends and family are up...like building with bamboo, photography, illegal subletting, music etc

First up will be learning how to work my AMAZING new camera, fresh off the resale market (many thanks to tag-sale extraordinaire and entrepreneur AM). But before I get into that mess I will leave you with some pics, some recipes and some thoughts about the Holidays just passed...my favorite favorite time of year.


The closest CBC has ever gotten to taking a shot of tequila was when she was throwing Patron over her shoulder at the bar with her brothers, in an attempt to avoid the entire experience. I am pretty sure the shot glass never actually touched her lips, but let's hope the man standing behind was not stopped on the way home because he had essentially showered in "top shelf".  Given this information, it is surprising that the key ingredient in her Cranberry Salsa is Tequila. Wash a package of cranberries, freeze them overnight and then throw them in the blender, with some cilantro, on chop. Add in sugar and lime juice to taste, followed by a shot of tequila. It's best when you make it in advance so it can stew in its own juices for a while before serving. We like it more sour, less sweet. 

The most important thing about CBC's recipes is that they are all pretty much "too taste", if you like it, add more, if you don't, leave it out. Also, the kitchen MUST look like a bomb went off when you are done, otherwise whatever you have just made will just not be as good...I realize the season for Cranberry Salsa has semi just ended, but this stuff is so good, I plan to make it year round...


Introducing the first of many projects that did not/will not come out as planned; Holiday Sugar Cookies. I get these strange urges to make things that are "perfect and pristine"-- two words which describe pretty much the opposite of my life. Maybe it is the general state of semi-chaos in which I live that drives me to suddenly become someone who bakes sugar cookies shaped like bells.


Firstly, its always a miracle when I cook and the kitchen survives, so overall, this endeavor was not a total loss. Long story short I saw a recipe for these inspiring-ly classic and elegant treats and decided that I would bake them myself while home for Christmas. I failed to realize that these cookies were obviously decorated by someone who had an intense level of attention to detail and a steady hand- neither of which are my strong points. Above you see my stunning recreations, which look like they may have been decorated by a four year old. After showing them off to SG, he inquired as to why I had not cut out my own shapes, instead of using cookie cutters from my neighbor. I thought for a second and realized how much more fun that would have been-- I could have made a cookies shaped like my fabulous neighbors, my crazy old dog, my CBC's amazing hair, my imaginary pet (that's a topic for another day right there...) etc... I vowed that next time I get the urge to do something that is in no way connected to my own reality, I will at least incorporate my own style...

1 comment:

  1. ahh! reading this made me miss the cranberry concoction!!! such yummieness...

    ReplyDelete