Friday, February 18, 2011

Vogue? What the hell.

I have literally now idea what came over me, but the other night, I decided it would be fun to get a subscription to Vogue. Convinced it would be be too expensive, I none the less decided to check out the website, turns out, I could get year subscriptions to Vogue and W for 12.99 each! That is fashion I can afford! I know it is so easy to look at stuff online, but something about thumbing through actual pages is so satisfying for me-- e.g. I love reading the print NY Times, even though it is like trying to read print off a  freaking throw blanket, rangling it awkwardly on the couch. Add my love for print, my love for mail, and my love for fantasy shopping together and what does one get? Vogue and W subscriptions. I am not, NOT excited !! (get it?) 




The funny thing is that, with these subscriptions, my fashionable email volume has picked up-- I now get invites to trunk shows and all sorts of silly stuff that I will never do, but none the less make one feel glamorous, or not glamorous, as the case may be. One of these funny perks is access to slide shows and reviews from every show at NY Fashion week-- which I must say is actually pretty cool. 

Below are my faves from Vera Wang and Carolina Herrera, with a sprinkle from Oscar de la Renta (whose fall collection, by the way, looks like it was inspired by those Russian nesting dolls-- its very strange...) and Marchesa (whose fall collection was def inspired by 19th Century Spanish widows...lots of lacy black veils etc).




I love the masculine feel of Vera's Collection. The collection as a whole has a dark, sort of industrialized and sometimes even biker feel, which I love. Black feathers abound, bring in an primal touch which is the perfect accent to the overall somber mood.  The sweater below is a big fave.  A break from this masculine, dark theme is the dropped waist, Victorian looking number. Even though Victorian pieces are traditionally feminine, the era, for me, evokes such a darkness and mystery, that compliments the darkness of this collection as whole. The severity and conservativeness, of this dress,  make me think VW is playing with the idea of what defines hard core, or tough- on one end the overt black/leather and on the other, the severe and conservative. I cannot say that I have ever found anything dropped waist attractive before in my life, it always evokes 20's era costume to me, not matter where I see it. This dress is certainly the exception. I also like it's racier gray cousin on the left, the Victorian feel is lost, but I am still into it.


Vera Wang Fall 2011


As for the two stragglers here in the middle, cannot say I loved either collection as a whole, but I am obsessed with this jacket. The fur hood was prominent throughout the entire Oscar de la Renta line, which I liked a lot, in particular this piece. And the Marchesa dress is just beautiful. I love pink/nude shades. 





 Oscar de la Renta and Marchesa Fall 2011
Turning a totally different page I like the classic,  feminine feel of  Carolina Herrera's fall line,  it's almost vintage feeling, but very modern at the same time. I love the grey suit with the big dramatic collar. Though I would not wear the turquoise/brown feather print dress, I am drawn to something about it, I think its the shape. I would love it in black, no surprise there. The black dress with the fur collar is fabulous, nothing more really to say about that. 




Carolina Herrera Fall 2011



























































No comments:

Post a Comment