Monday, February 14, 2011

History. I freaking love it!

I have to say I am of two very distinct minds about Boston. I LOVE it, but I could never live there. I guess for me its NYC or the SBC, ha. That being said, I am obsessed with visiting this historical city. I am also obsessed with the existence of a slightly high end chain Chinese food restaurant, P.F.Changs. I feel silly admitting my love for a chain restaurant, though not really, as I have also been known to love Burger King, much to CLP's dismay ( read her amazing DIY and healthy foodie blog 'here'). Bottom line, I love Chinese food, and any restaurant that lets me enjoy it, while being semi-dressed up and out on a Saturday evening is good in my book.

Aside from unhealthy chain restaurants (this list is really bringing people in so far, huh?) I love the history that is Boston. The narrow brick and cobblestone streets, vintage street lamps and crooked little row houses make for a magical step back in time and I eat that shit up. It also doesn't hurt that everywhere in Boston has Harpoon IPA on tap, a-mazing. 

This weekend we walked the freedom trail and visited the USS Constitution, the world's oldest warship still afloat.  The freedom trail is basically a yellow brick road for history, and its fun to follow it blindly around town. The thin, two brick wide trail leads you from historical churches to Paul Revere's House, to Faneuil Hall to the Navy Yard, winding through many neighborhoods on its way.



This church was amazing! It had these funny box style pews with little doors. You would open them up and be sitting in what resembled a little stage coach. The pews were labeled for the historical figures who occupied them, the Governor, Paul Revere etc., super cool. 




Sorry Daddo, no good knots on display, but I thought this rope was pretty nice. Maybe not mule tape quality...but nice still.

In the same Navy Yard as the Constitution, there is America's oldest dry dock. Its pretty crazy. Docked in it in the USS Cassin Young, which is a bad ass Navy Destroyer that fought in WWII, fighting in Iwo Jima and Okinawa.



It's just so good why do they not exist in the city??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment