Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The hunt is on.

The idea of moving into an apartment and staying there for more than 8-10 months is completely foreign to me. For the past 8 years, since I moved to college, I have been hauling my belongings back and forth across state lines. During college, I moved each year so I went back and forth from Poughkeepsie four times, then I moved home to CT, then I moved to BK, then I moved all my stuff home and lived in the East Village for a month, before living in LA for a month, then I moved to Harlem, then I moved all my stuff home to CT and wandered around NYC for a month with my essential belongings in a granny cart that I usually used for groceries, (shout out to LM for hosting me on her couch for many a night)  then I moved to Soho! Hopefully this summer I will skip the "double move" as I like to call it, which involves moving all of my stuff back home to CT in the gap between apartments. Unfortunately, this rolling stone has gathered a lot of moss...and one tempurpedic mattress (that is a-mazing) that is like moving a dead horse.

A couple nights ago SG and I wandered around Craig's List and Street Easy to see what was out there in the rental world. I have to say it was encouraging. I was ready to move back into an apartment the size of a postage stamp that had a beautiful view of someone's else's apartment (the fishbowl effect). Much to our surprise, it seems like we may get to live somewhere nice! This realization got me fired up about decorating! We are going with an ocean/beach theme- though I drew the line when SG suggested we mount fishing rods on the walls. Ha. Here are some ideas below that I am pulling together!

We hope to work in some lobster traps, lures (I know, just go with it) and big glass vases filled with sand and shells. This apartment is either going to be GREAT or look like the beach after a big storm, hopefully it tends towards the former.

I love these shells lining the wall. I would consider nailing some 2 X 4's to the walls and displaying beach-y paraphernalia.



I LOVE this Ikea arm chair, there is also a couch that goes with it. And, the cover is machine washable, which is key.

For the couch, and armchair, I was thinking a fun assortment of sea themed pillows. I will most likely make these myself,  but some inspiration is below.






I love both these shelves-- again, planning on making them- which will involve roping my dad in for some time on the CNC machine, but I think its doable.


I am not sure where this bench fits in, but I have to admit I like it. Possibly as an end table?

1 comment: