Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giving Up, Being Better.

During Lent I try to be a better version of myself, eat better, be kinder and more generous with others, while at the same time more frugal with myself (getting that off to a good start with the purchase of the iPad, I know...), be more patient, and remember to be appreciative. It's about subtracting the 'not so great' and adding in 'the better'-- the things I should be doing, but am not always getting done.

This year, I am giving up two things that strangely bring me much happines-- sweets and biting my cuticles- the later of these two vices literally seems to be my cryptonite, I stop, I start, I stop, I start, I rinse, I repeat, you get the idea. Its totally ridiculous.

With those two down, I need to work on the addition part-- read more, give more, be better, spend more time with family. I think by give more, I mean specifically of myself. As I am writing this, I think my main goal is emerging: Generosity. My main asset is time and giving it to the people around me will be a goal over the next 40 days. By time I guess I mean mainly just help-- not anything that requires ME specifically, but just things that need another hand;  my aim is going to be that helper as much as I can.  Feel free to share any thoughts as to how one goes about living up to their "good" potential, but I think even just being aware in our daily lives helps us make the kinder, more generous decisions, where ever we can.

I of course will only accomplish the above if I manage to avoid homicidal rage while dealing with taxes. Ugh. So killer. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment