Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I is Back.

Turns out sometimes you don't have time to write about life. No shock there. But this week, there is time!

Yesterday was one of those days- got to the subway, realized I had left my unlimited card in the pocket of my Botanical Gardens jacket- ugh. Purchase a single use metrocard. E train comes. Another E train comes. E train again. and finally, another E train. I get on it, even though I am actually waiting for a C train- it appears it is flat out never coming. Get off at 42nd to transfer, see A train pulling away. Run into trainer from my gym I have been avoiding. Ugh. Another E train. Finally! A -C train. Take it two stops up, one more  to go! Conductor informs me we will be skipping JUST my stop, 72nd street,  all other local stops will be made.  At this point I contemplate swearing and kicking the train as it pulls out of the station. Refrain, barely. Eventually, a train that is going where I am headed arrives and takes me there but by this time I am so pissed at the MTA the thrill of arrival is gone. Run down 73rd WITH bright yellow (empty) suitcase that I have been hauling in hopes of hitting TJ's later--to make it to the gym in time. My favorite spinning instructor sprained her ankle (possibly kicking an uncooperative train?!?) so we have some random lady. Overall, not great.

I managed to shake it off, and wandering the aisles of Trader Joe's I decided that the perfect response to the morning commute chaos was scones. I have thinking about trying to bake scones for a while now and recently purchased "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman- (on the iPad!!!- which by the way, is EVERYTHING I thought it would be and I am still love love loving it)- sure enough, Scones are included in "everything".

Surprisingly they came out just as they should- they are great! I added in cinnamon and raisins (no currents at TJ's).  To be honest I like my scones with a super crunchy outside and more crumble-y inside- these are very flaky and moist- so I am thinking of tweaking just for personal preference- but not sure how one tweaks- any thoughts are welcome.

The great thing about cooking in a kitchen that is not yours is that you discover things you did not know you had! Mark Bittman told me to put everything in a food processor, don't have one-- but wait! I do! Throw everything in the processor. Cannot figure out how to work it. Fast forward 10 minutes, take everything back out of the food processor and throw it back in the corner from whence it came- that thing is like a freaking cryptex- never cracked it.





1 comment:

  1. I was looking at that Mark Bittman book yesterday. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete